Wednesday, November 10, 2010

For some reason, my teams just don't win...


Photo from BBC Sport



As I've mentioned below, I have the sorry task of supporting the Indiana Pacers in basketball. In the wonderful world of English Football, I support Liverpool FC. Sure they have a fantastic history, but I haven't seen them win the league in my lifetime. Same deal with the Pacers. This post is about Liverpool, though.

After a promising 2nd place finish a couple of years back, it's all pretty much gone down hill from there. This year has seen Liverpool linger in the relegation zone, but a couple of wins on the trot, including a massive one against champions and leaders Chelsea brought us back in the thick of European spots.

With expectations high for today's match against Wigan Athletic, I wasn't surprised that we could only manage a draw. Following Liverpool has taught me that we can beat Chelsea one day and drop points to a (with all due respect) lesser team on the next match. I wanted the game after Chelsea to be a Europa League one so we could just afford a loss, but Wigan it was.

Fernando Torres finished another splendid goal to bring his tally to 5 on the season; three in the last two games. A rebounded effort from Hugo Rodallega earned Wigan a point, but I would not have been surprised if we lost, given our performance. After the goal, everyone sat deep and allowed Cleverley and N'Zogbia to blast down the flanks. Good thing Wigan's finishing was poor, otherwise we would have been battered.

I don't know why we sat back as much as we did. Roy Hodgson says the players looked tired - a fair assessment. Still, no excuses. Everyone played midweek, and we needed this to propel us to fifth. What is baffling to me is that we opted for Jonjo Shelver and Nathan Eccleston over Milan Jovanovic and David N'Gog... A tricky match against Stoke City is up next...

No comments:

Post a Comment