Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving for one

When I did a Google image search of "Lonely Thanksgiving," this is what came up first:


Stawiarz/Getty
Let's go with that.

Anyway, by no means is my Thanksgiving "lonely." I've had numerous invitations from lovely and generous people. I even accepted one, but backed out in the last minute because I've had a Thanksgiving tradition of my own (on my own) since going to college out of state.

There's no way I'm spending $400 for a plane ride to Albuquerque, NM only to spend a couple of days there (I will do it to watch a Jason Mraz concert in California, though.) As a college senior, I've spent the past three Thanksgivings all by my lonesome.

A huge part of the holiday is the great food that is served. Here's a recap of my kitchen-less last three Thanksgivings:

2007 - Cold Chinese food. I had to order in a ton of Chinese food since the delivery place wasn't open for the holiday. I say cold because my dorm's solitary microwave was nothing more than a box with a light bulb. I tried heating the food in a plastic bowl over my lamp, but that only ended up in a melted bowl, burnt food, and a close call with the smoke detector.

2008 - Warm Chinese food! Upgrade! My sophomore year's dorm actually had a working microwave! A warm plate of Sesame Chicken had Thanksgiving written all over it.

2009 - Chef Boyardee Spaghetti with Meatballs. Junior year was just depressing. Books seemed to be extra expensive that year, so I didn't have enough money to order my usual stock of Chinese food. I hit up a target and loaded up on 50 cent cans of Campbell's Chunky soup and Chef Boyardee's meals in a can. It wasn't a delicious by any means, but I count my blessings and was thankful to have some warm food in the first place (working microwave!)

2010 will be Thanksgiving done right. I'm armed not only with a working microwave, but also a full kitchen and some money to buy groceries. It'll be a fitting end to my college Thanksgivings and I can enjoy a nice meal in solitude and have some time to myself.

On the menu: 

Starter: Mushroom soup 

Main: Herb crusted turkey, garlic mashed potatoes, bacon macaroni and cheese, roasted vegetables, rolls

Dessert: Chocolate-banana cream pie

Drink: Magners Irish Cider

It looks to be a promising menu, and I'll post pictures and recipes once they are made.

I am incredibly thankful and grateful to all the people and friends who invited me over for Thanksgiving. It's incredible generosity that you offered to include me in your family's celebrations. I just thought that I've formed some tradition of my own now, and this will be the last year I'll be doing it, but again, I'm forever grateful for all your kindness and generosity. That's some Thanksgiving spirit you all manifested right there, and that's what these holidays are all about.


P5UD7YSKAE7W

No comments:

Post a Comment