Thursday, November 25, 2010

Live blogging Thanksgiving for one

Happy Thanksgiving!




As I mentioned yesterday, it'll be an interesting last college Thanksgiving for me. Gone is the Chinese delivery and Chef Boyardee. Now I get to abuse my apartment's kitchen and cook a proper thanksgiving meal. I've started the prep work of my extensive menu last night.


I seasoned the turkey breasts (salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian herbs, fresh rosemary), and put them in a zip-lock bag to brine overnight (combine water, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, brown sugar, red chili flakes, chili powder, Italian herbs, fresh rosemary. Simmer for about 10 minutes then add ice cubes to cool).


As of 9:30 am:
Turkey in brine
That should be about ready to go in a few hours

I also started on the banana cream pie last night. I make the chocolate (Oreo) crust and the banana custard. I let it cool in the fridge overnight and I put it together today.

11:00
Pre-toppings

That looks pretty good as is, but it can get better.

11:05

With Oreos and Caramel sauce

Looks better... but it's not banana cream pie without the whipped cream...

11:10

Donezo!
Looks pretty good, and I'm sure it'll taste fantastic.

I'm going to prep the sides soon. 

Still need to be prepped:

Bacon Macaroni and Cheese
Cream of Mushroom soup
Mashed Potatoes
Ham steak
Stuffing
Bread rolls
Mixed veggies

12:04: Minor tragedy! I topped the pie with whipped cream way too early. Rookie mistake! The cream has started to set and drip off the sides. I'll have to add more when I eat it, but nobody ever said more whipped cream is a bad thing.

More updates as they happen!

Happy Thanksgiving!


1:39: Just finished making the macaroni and cheese. Will put it under the broiler later on with some bread crumbs and bacon. Boiling a pot of water for potatoes and will start on the soup soon. The oven will be ABUSED today!


Mac and Cheese pre-broiler
2:45 Starting to smell like heaven in here! Mashed potatoes are done, the turkey's in the oven, the stuffing is setting, soup is simmering, ham is on deck!

No comments:

Post a Comment